SUMMARY: Provide security and companionship to lonely and/or isolated older adults in the community by calling the client on a prearranged schedule.
DEPARTMENT: Independence for Seniors
SHIFT: Various, On site
REPORTS TO: Program Social Worker
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Commit to the telephone call cycle for at least six months.
• Keep the program staff informed of scheduling problems (48 hours notice is preferable).
• Engage clients in current, healthy, and appropriate conversation.
• Inform the program staff / social worker of any health or safety issues noted during calls.
• Follow call procedure, including making multiple call attempts, leaving messages as necessary, and recording client information and significant events.
• Serve as a patient and empathetic listener.
• Maintain client privacy and confidentiality.
• Complete documentation such as call logs, volunteer timesheet, client information forms, etc. and other paperwork, as requested.
• Abide by program policies and procedures as outlined in volunteer manuals and training materials.
• Comply with requests for updated background checks and drug screening.
• Attend program orientation and scheduled training sessions and participate in periodic in-service training sessions as requested.
• Represent Commonwealth Catholic Charities in the community and workplace in a professional and ethical manner.
• Demonstrate sensitivity to the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, including empathy, support, and encouragement.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: None.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment is favorable.